Friday, 6 April 2012

Lizzie Prestt

It's Follow Friday!

Lizzie Prestt is a designer maker and illustrator based in London, who graduated from Nottingham Trent University in 2007 with a degree in Decorative Arts.  Lizzies illustrations are artistic, quirky and detailed.

Lizzie uses silk screen printing processes to transfer her illustrations onto interior products including cushions, tea towels, napkins, wall art and tableware.  Each product is designed and made by Lizzie herself.  She also uses a transfer process to put her illustrations onto ceramics.  Lizzie sells her products online on Not on the High Street.com. You can also find her on facebook and Lizzie also has a blog.

I knew about Lizzie Prestt when I visited the Leeds Art Gallery and City Museum as I brought a book and the carrier bag they gave me had her design on.  You can find some of Lizzie's designs and products at the art gallery shop.

*screenshot from Lizzie's website.

Have you always wanted to design?

I've loved art from the very start, it was always the only subject I felt comfortable with.  I knew i'd end up do something creative although being a designer just sort of happened.  I'm still overwhelmed that people buy my designs it's a really amazing honour.

How long have you worked in the the textile industry?

Not long, i've really just made my own way.  When i finished my degree i worked for some creative companies both big and small but decided i wanted to do my own thing so moved home and started making, there's been a lot of trial and error as i've sort of just learnt as i've gone, it's probably not the best way of doing it but i've learnt so much and there's lots more i need to learn.  There's much more to it than just having a talent, you've got to figure out how to market the products, price them, fund them, what materials to use, where and how to have them made, the list goes on and on, i guess it's like most things there's much more to it than meets the eye. 

How have you got to where you are now?

Lots of hard work, it's really tough, the competition is so strong but there's always going to be someone better than you so you've just got to work with what you've got and try really hard to succeed.  It takes a lot of motivation and that can be so hard when your by yourself but then i think, what else would i do if i didn't do this?!  

What inspires you?

Well we're lucky because there is so much good design and designers out there, so i look in magazines, go to galleries and wonder around shops, it's easy living in London because so much of it is on your door step.  

What motivates you?

If I ever feel a bit lost or unmotivated I get myself out and about, it's similar to finding inspiration. Like i said they're are a lot of good design and designers out there and when i see it and them i want to be part of it. 

Do you have a favourite design?

Of my own?  If so, then i actually i do...it's the design i use on my business card, if you look to closely at it you can see how badly it's drawn but i really like the overall effect.

Do you get a lot of support from family and friends?

Yes lots, my family especially have been brilliant, if it wasn't for them i really couldn't have done this.   
Where would you like to see your career in 5 years time?

It's hard to say but ideally I'd like to have a good and popular range of products in some shops and regular commissions coming in. 

Do you have a favourite designer?

That is a tough one...I couldn't possibly decide on one.  

Is there any advice you'd like to give a new up and coming designer?

Don't give up, it's hard out there but if you work hard and believe in your ability then you'll be fine, it's a lot about networking and getting yourself seen so things like a blog, website, twitter and facebook really help also doing fairs, you never know whose going to see your work and it could lead anywhere. 

Thank you very much for your time Lizzie, I really appreciate it :)







Happy Easter Everyone and have a great weekend :)


*If you'd like me to share a blog post or interview you about you and your designs on this blog, then please email me at: hannahbyatt1990@hotmail.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...