Friday, 4 May 2012

BlueBerry Ash Textiles

It's Follow Friday!

BlueBerry Ash Textiles is a company for hand printed home wares, fashion and crafts based in Sydney, Australia.  Maria Tanygina is the founder of this company.  Each design and product is inspired by almost anything including nature, architecture, music, memories etc and is printed on only natural fabrics.

The products created within the company including cushions, pillow cases, tea towels, bags, posters and greeting cards which are all hand screen printed.

BlueBerry Ash Textiles also has a blog including weekly inspirations, projects and more.  You can buy BlueBerry Ash Textile fabrics and products on several online shops, Craftumi, Made It and Etsy.  You can also find BlueBerry Ash Textiles on Facebook.



Have you always wanted to design?

Definitely yes. And for this I have to say thank you to my Mum and Grandma. When I was a little girl I remember my Mum and Grandma were always creating something beautiful or they were sewing, knitting or doing embroidery. Than later on, when my motor skills were good enough, I was making clothes for my dolls and as a teenager I would use old clothes to recycle and create something new. So yes, I always knew I wanted to design, but only few years ago I realise its surface design and product development that I want to do.

How long have worked in the textile industry?

I started textile design and printing only about a year ago.

How have you got to where you are now?

I have not reached where I want to be yet, I am sure there is a long way to go yet. But all that I have achieved is just simply by doing and keep going, fighting resistance, believing in my work.

What inspires you?

It’s kind of lame, but everything and anything. You never know what can spark an idea. It can be a little walk around neighbourhood or a botanic garden, nature is an absolute source of inspiration. Other designers’ work, art, architecture, people, interiors, antiques and work, the more I create the more I get inspired.

What motivates you?

Vision of what I want to achieve. My husband, his persistence and passion for his dream. My parents, whose life journey has not been easy. And all the amazing talented creative minds, courageous, bold and brave people who work hard to succeed in their life.

Do you have a favourite design?

Not really, I like them all equally, they are me :)

What are you currently working on at the moment?

I am trying to work at one thing at a time, but it never happens.
There are always few projects I am working on…at the moment its market tote bags, sweet small scale designs for screen printing and soft pastel floral designs for digital printing. 

What is your typical day in the studio?

Wake up at 6.30, a glass of cold water to help me open my eyes. After sending off my son to school I have a big cup of coffee and I am ready for the day!
Every day is different, but I usually start checking any emails, orders, conversations that came overnight, reply to comments and make a todo list for the day. Maybe I would write a blog post, order supplies or make something. Lunch time is always dedicated to photographing; it’s the best light in the apartment at this time of the day. The afternoon I might spend printing or sewing till about 6 pm when I have to start making dinner for my family. In the evening I love to paint and draw, read or browse the internet. 

Do you get a lot of support from family and friends?

Yes I do, they enjoy my every little win and support me after every failure. They kick my butt and keep me going.

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time?

In my own studio, where I will design, draw, print, sew, held workshops, meet my creative friends. Parallel to that I will travel around the world, learning traditional textiles techniques from crafters.
I would love to work in collaboration with a big company and talented team of people on design or product development. As well as that I want to try designing rugs, stationery, dishware and wallpaper.

Do you have a favourite designer?

From the top of my head…
William Morris, Josef Frank and India Flint.

Is there any advice you’d like to give an up and new coming designer?

Just do it! You love it, you good at it, go for it. Be confident in your work and brave on your path. Perfect your skills and don’t give up.


Thank you for your time Maria, I really appreciate it :)








*If you'd like a feature on this blog, please feel free to email me at: hannahbyatt1990@hotmail.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...