Monday, 10 December 2012

Wayne Thiebaud

Wayne Thiebaud (1920) is an American artist who I discovered a while ago when I was college, he was an inspiration for my afternoon tea project. Wayne is very famous for his cakes, pastries and lipstick paintings.  His work is associated with the pop art movement. 

"My subject matter was a genuine sort of experience that came out of my life, particularly the American world in which I was privileged to be . . . . I would really think of the bakery counters, of the way the counter was lit, where the pies were placed, but I wanted just a piece of the experience. From when I worked in restaurants . . . [it was] always poetic to me."

I love how realistic Wayne's paintings are, the cakes look edible.  And I love the soft colour palette and the placement of the different sweets, feels like I'm looking into a cake shop.  I think my favourite painting is the ice cream sundaes.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...