Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Goodbye 2012...Why Hello 2013

Welcome to 2013 :)



Didn't 2012 fly by? Well if it didn't for you, it certainly did for me. This time last year, I said that I was going to make 2012 my year and I did.

I did several work placements including Rachael Taylor Designs, I still help out with blogging for a weekly post and when needed. In-house at Mamas and Papas and general chores for Leicester Print Workshop.  I also started freelancing for a New Studio called 'Black Cherry.'  I have sold 6 designs so far including in London, Los Angeles, New York and Australia which is a massive achievement. I'm hoping that over the next 6 months hopefully Black Cherry Studio will become more known and more designs will sell, fingers crossed!

I did start 'The Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design featuring Rachael Taylor' in February but unfortunately I think I did the course at a bad time due to work placements and then starting freelancing particularly balancing with my weekend retail job including overtime. But now I feel I have found the right balance with my retail job and freelancing.  I am hoping to refer back to the e-course for inspiration and project ideas to get into the swing of creating my own designs again. Something else I'd like to consider this year, more designing of my own briefs/project ideas which will build up my portfolio.

Although throughout the year I started to realize that I expect so much from myself especially as what I said I'd like to do in 2012 from a previous blog post....

'I am still working my contract hours at weekends and overtime during weekdays at a retail store in my local town.  But in the meantime I will be organising myself to get ready to be a freelance designer  building up on my portfolio, looking for freelance opportunities, entering competitions and designing my own range to launch my small business after the e-course.  As well as still looking for work placements, internships and job opportunities'

As from above you will have noticed that I achieved several of these targets but not all of them. Of course it would be impossible to achieve all this in a small number of months.  I did realized this during the month of June from a previous post in which I wrote about my year so far.

I also did my fair share of traveling throughout the UK including Leeds, Hebden Bridge, Edinburgh, London, Liverpool, Chesterfield, Buxton, Leicester and Huddersfield.  Each place was either for a work placement, a day out for inspiration and of course for my job.

Hopefully 2013 will bring more freelance work particularly if I keep building up my portfolio excluding the work I design for Black Cherry Studio and I'd like to try entering more competitions. I have started to type up the number of hours I do for everything including Black Cherry Studio, my retail job etc as this year I'd like to use my time much more wisely to make the most of things.

But To be honest I'm not sure what 2013 will bring for me,
I think I will just have to wait and see.

But I do think my New Year Resolution should be:

To stop expecting so much from myself.


What's your New Year Resolution?  Did you have a successful 2012?  What do you think 2013 will bring for you?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good Hannah! and very familiar too =) We put too much pressure on ourselves as new designers trying to get out into the world but from what I've read you had a fantastic year last year and definitely have the talent to go far in the future =) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you comment Emma, I really appreciate it :) You're right we do put too much pressure on ourselves to get into the Design World. And thank you, I wish you the best of luck too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...