Friday, 8 February 2013

Jared Thompson

It's Follow Friday!

Jared Thompson owns and runs several creative blogs/websites including Design Juices and it's sister Fashion Juices.  Co-owns and runs Indie Minded which showcases indie clothing and fashion, books, films, music, crafts and more.  Jared also runs the online side of Business Boom collective and Business Boom Bolton which is part of the Business Boom Network.  This project has now been running over 12 months and showcases, advises and promotes the best young creative talent in the UK and the rest of the World.

You can follow each blog/website on twitter at @designjuices @fashionjuices @indiemnded @Business_Boom.




Can you explain a little more of what you do behind Design Juices?

It's an online design blog so I own and run everything on the site day-to-day. Aside from the web design of the site I've got a handle on the social media, posts, research, promotion and admin of the site. I must also give credit to the readers and friends who keep me on my toes and help with and niggles the site has. 
What inspired you to start this blog?
The blog was started back when I was at university as a way to document the pages of research I was undertaking. This has since lead me to want to improve it to be a source of daily inspiration, news, interviews and showcase of creative work worldwide. 
You launched a new chapter for Design Juices last summer with Fashion Juices, how's that going? What made you start a blog based on just fashion?

The whole rhelm of fashion warrants its own site; whether its style, street style, catwalk fashion or high street bargains there is so much going on in the industry. New avenues of eco-fashion and so many DIY projects people are undertaking to set their own trends excites me and I love to work in giving inexperienced bloggers a platform to share their fashion opinions. 


Could you tell me a bit more about what you're involved with for Indie Minded, which you co-own and run?

Indie Minded in a previous life up until late last year was under the banner of 'the tee gazette' this site concentrated on giving a voice to the indie designers, artists and brands who were run by small business owners. After having a success indie event in Boston last august myself and Kelly are now moving forward with the site to showcase the best of independents in music, film, art, fashion, clothing & more.

Day to day I tend to concentrate on social media, research and writing several articles a day. It's definitely a site which thrives and expands with lots of content every week.

What is your typical day like?
I suppose I spend around 8-10 hours a day online on average, My two monitor setup allows me to be as productive as possible and using programs like tweetdeck which allows me to keep on top of several twitter accounts, whilst also researching and blogging for various sites.

What is it about design that you love? 


I was first grabbed by design on a basic functionality level, seeing how a well designed product can change and improve someones life and daily routine to be more efficient and effective is what I love. This works in the same way with effective branding, graphic design and illustrations can change a businesses fortunes and connect with customers much better.

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time?


I would love to be managing several teams of people over the sites I run, I'd like to be advising young graduates seeking job opportunities and passing on my advice and knowledge to cut down on unemployment for creatives in the UK and beyond.

Do you have a favourite designer, illustrator, photographer etc?


Growing up and learning my design education at college and university, I was always inspired by the work of the Bauhaus design school and designers such as Dieter Rams. In todays world I think from a product design perspective you are going to be hard pressed to find someone as good as Jonathan Ive (Apple computers.)

Favourite blog?


Business Boom Collective, It's been so inspiring to prove and show that so many young creatives are emerging not only from the UK and abroad. You don't have to go to the big agencies for great design work, many are in our universities and self taught young designers.

Favourite design book?
If pushed at university I really enjoyed the Sketching: Drawing Techniques for Product Designers 

Thank you for your time Jared, I really appreciate it. If you'd like a feature or interview on this blog then please email me at: hannahbyatt1990@hotmail.co.uk









1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your time in putting this interview together hannah, pleasure to share my work on your site.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...