Thursday, 21 February 2013

The Pros and Cons of Freelancing

I have been freelancing for quite some time now and I thought I'd share with you with my opinions on freelancing from what I have have discovered so far.  I started freelancing due to being unable to achieved a full-time in-house design job. But I do love freelancing although I don't think it's for everyone.  Some people find it quite difficult to motivated themselves, but as I've always been a very determined and organized person which I think helps quite a lot. 


PROS

You're your own boss
Flexible hours
No Travel Costs
Comfort of your own home
No need to dress smart
Whatever holidays you want
Freedom
Various of projects
Choose where to work
Each day is different
Always people out there looking for your skills

CONS

No monthly income
Possible Distractions
Need to be able to motivate yourself
Driven
Late nights to meet deadlines
Find own material/gadgets
Can get lonely at times
Own Accounting
Possibly need a part-time job on the side

Do you freelance?  Do you enjoy it?  Do you think you could stay freelancing for some time?  Would you ever freelance?  Let me know your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I'm freelance, and, yes, I do quite enjoy it. I don't think I could ever go back to working in an office. Sometimes the pros can be the cons, though. Like being your own boss and picking your hours - it doesn't always work out like that for me, because of tight deadlines. I find myself working most weekends and haven't had more than a day off at a time in two years. Sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to switch off at 5:30 on a Friday and know I have nothing to do until 9am Monday, but I can't do that. I have clients who email me at 6pm asking for something for 9am, so I feel like I have to check my email every waking half an hour and be on standby just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. Yeah it can take more hours than a normal 9-5 job. I agree it is very difficult to switch off from it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...