Friday, 1 February 2013

Tom Joyce

It's Follow Friday!

Tom Joyce is a freelance illustrator and graphic designer based in Southampton, UKTom's created illustrations that are very detailed, unique and intricate.  Most of Tom's illustrations are black and white, although few do have a touch of colour.  Even though Tom is inspired by many things he often draw quirky characters.  Also there are several skull drawings which are made up of different motifs, one is shown below.

You can follow Tom on Facebook and on twitter @tomjoyce1.  Tom also has a blog including frequent updates about exhibition, inspirations and his work



 Have you always wanted to be an illustator?

For as long as I can remember I have always drawn in some way or another, in my schoolbooks, sketchbooks and scrap bits of paper, it’s what I’ve always loved doing, even from an early age, its always been my passion.

How have you got to where you are now?

I graduated from the University of Plymouth with a degree in Illustration and have since been working hard to develop my career as a freelancer, holding exhibitions and networking. 

What inspires you? 

I get my inspiration from everything and anything! Books, movies, graphic novels, movies, and people I have met and places I have been. I have a lively imagination and this is reflected in my work.

What motivates you? 

I enjoy what I do, and this in itself motivates me. I enjoy creating characters and little worlds and seeing how far an idea can grow.

What do you enjoy most about illustration?

I love that I can create anything, the world is at my fingertips and nothing is impossible, there are no restrictions to what I can create.

Do you have a favourite illustration that you have created?

An image that is a particular favourite of mine is ‘Viking Village’, I had a lot of fun drawing this and coming up with ideas as I went along, even when I look at it now, all the little details still make me giggle. 

Do you have any of your illustrations on products? 

I don’t have a large range of products with my illustrations on at the moment, although this is something that is in the pipeline so watch this space…. 

What is your typical day like?

My illustration time mainly consists of drawing, emails, drawing, social networking, drawing, mailing and drawing some more. Along with being an illustrator, I also work in marketing, so I have to juggle my time between the two, although having to do this adds structure to my day as I dedicate a particular time to focus solely on illustration projects.

What do you hope that 2013 will bring for you?

I have some exciting projects planned for 2013 and working with some great people on projects that are going to be massive, so keep checking my website and Facebook pages for updates. 

Do you get a lot of support from family and friends?

My family and friends have always been a great support to me, and have always had the confidence in my work to push me further. I wouldn’t be where I am today without their support. 

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time?

I imagine I will have taken over the world in a giant robot! Although if that fails, I will be continuing with my freelance illustration career, I have a lot of exciting projects on the way and hope these are successful. 

Do you have a favourite illustrator, designer etc? 

Chris Ware, Kevin O’Neil, Mattias Adolfsson, Kidd Chip, Tom Gauld to name a few, although the list is endless, such a great inspiration. 

Favourite blog? 

www.laughingsquid.com - a great blog for showing viral videos, show casing new talent and the odd monster here and there.

www.io9.com - for the sci-fi geek in all of us.

www.darkroastedblend.com - love this site, it shows loads of odd photos of weird stuff from all over the world but great to look at while taking a break from drawing.

Favourite design book?

Again, I have so many design books that I love, but here are just a few:

Mattias Unfiltered the sketchbook Art of Mattias Adolfsson’  - I got this for Christmas and I cant stop looking at it.

Chris Ware, Novelty Library (Acme Novelty Library)’  - to be fair anything by Chris Ware is fantastic

‘Six-hundred and Seventy-six Apparitions of Killoffer’ - prepare to be disturbed!


Thank you very much for your time Tom, I really appreicate it.  If you'd like a feature on the blog please email me at hannahbyatt1990@hotmail.co.uk





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...