Friday, 15 February 2013

Yaz Raja

It's Follow Friday!

Yaz Raja is a contemporary surface pattern designer and illustrator.  Yaz recently graduated with a BA (hons) Surface Pattern Design degree at Staffordshire University.  She is currently searching for a job/work experience within the design industry.  In the mean time continues to design and illustrate to build on her portfolio including having them on productsThe illustrations Yaz creates are beautifully hand-drawn, detailed and unique.

You can also follow Yaz on Facebook and twitter @Yaz__Raja.  Also regular posts on her blog.



Have you always wanted to be a surface pattern designer & illustrator?

No, not really I wanted to be a fashion designer but I changed my mind in my last year of college and it’s kind of strange. I took up a module on Surface Pattern Design because it was something new and about 3 months before applying for University, I decided to change my mind but I don’t regret it.
 
How have you got to where you are now?

It hasn’t worked out how I planned it. I went to Staffordshire University after college and did my degree in Surface Pattern design. After graduating, I worked for an agent in Stafford for a few months, but now I want to work on my personal projects and gain some work experience.
 
What inspires you?

Fashion, something new and fresh for example travelling and cultures.
 
What motivates you?

Others success.
 
What do you enjoy most about design?

Drawing! I can literally draw all day even if it’s just black and white; I love drawing!
 
Do you have a favourite design/illustration that you have created?

Yeah my wallpaper collection I did for my final major project at University. It was called ‘illustrate your fashion wall’ and it was inspired by high-end fashion, florals and my trip to Paris. It is a very personal project to me, I have always wanted to design wallpapers and sell them and it came true.

Do you have any of your designs/illustrations on products?

Yeah they're available on www.society6.com/yazrajadesigns
 
What is your typical day like?

At the moment, I am working on card designs so I am pretty much drawing, developing, experimenting with that project. I do spend a lot of my time just drawing and doing something creative.
 
What do you hope that 2013 will bring for you?

I just want to be happy in life. However, I would like to sell some more of my wallpaper designs and get better at what I do.
 
Do you get a lot of support from family and friends?

Yes! I am so grateful for my family especially for always supporting me, advising me and giving me good feedback!
 
Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time?

Personally, I want to have a family of my own, get married and have children. Professionally, I would like to be a wallpaper designer. 


Thank you for your time Yaz, I really appreciate it.  If you'd like a feature and interview on this blog then please email me at: hannahbyatt1990@hotmail.co.uk











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...