Friday, 1 March 2013

Rachel Bennett

It's Follow Friday!

Rachel Bennett is a textile designer and illustrator based in Liverpool, UK.  Rachel recently graduated with a degree in fashion & interiors at University of Huddersfield and is currently available for full-time employment, freelance and licensing opportunities.  Rachel tends to create hand-drawn imagery, designers and illustrations which are then sometimes digitally manipulated.  Rachel uses a lot of texture throughout her work, you can see that she really enjoys experimenting with different tools and medias.

You can follow Rachel on Facebook and twitter @rachel_bennett1.  Rachel also has tumblr.



Have you always wanted to be a textile designer/illustrator?

Well, I’ve always been more creative than academic, I studied textiles and art throughout secondary school but it wasn’t until I started college that I discovered art textiles where I got to make repeat patterns on Photoshop. However, it was on foundation course that I started to experiment with printmaking, which is when I made up my mind to do textile design at University.

How have you got to where you are now?

Lots of hard work, early mornings and late nights. I still have a long way to go but hopefully with enough determination I’ll get there.

What inspires you?

I have a lot of different things that inspire me, when designing patterns, I look at a lot of illustration as I enjoy experimenting, especially with tools and medias I use to draw. I don’t have a certain type of source that inspires me, I’m inspired by anything from space to nature, it depends on how I feel when I’m coming up with a brief.

What motivates you?

Well, it helps that I enjoy what I do so, although there is moments when I am lacking motivation, it is generally quite easy to motivate myself, more so when designing rather than admin work. Setting myself deadlines also helps.

What do you enjoy most about design?

I love being creative, experimenting with textures, collage and different ways of drawing! Certainly with designing for digital print, it gives you so much freedom with layering and the tools you use.

Do you have a favourite design that you have created?

Erm, I’m not sure I do, there are designs I have produced that I don’t like but from the ones I do, I don’t think I could chose as I like them for different reasons!

Do you have any of your designs on products?

I produce all my designs on a range of home and gift products that can be found on my Etsy site!

What is your typical day like?

Well, it depends on what work I’m doing – design/admin stuff.  When designing, it involves a lot of mess, waiting for stuff to dry and scanning! LOTS of scanning. As I have just finished my new collection, I am busy arranging things for BCTF which is at the beginning of April! So a lot of emailing and typing currently!

What do you hope that 2013 will bring for you?

Hopefully I will gain some stockists from doing BCTF in the spring, lots of new exciting products and designs to come hopefully!

Do you get a lot of support from family and friends?

Yeah, all my friends and family are very supportive of me and are always trying to help where they can!

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time?

In 5 years time I would like to be a successful freelance designer, maybe with my own online shop and more regular commissions!

Do you have a favourite illustrator, designer etc?

I love Sandra Diekmann’s work; I have so many of her products, totes, illustrations, cards…

Favourite design book?

I think it definitely has to be ‘Textile Designers at the Cutting Edge’ or ‘Hand to Eye: Contemporary Illustration.’ I use both of them frequently!


Thank you very much for your time Rachel, I really appreciate it.  If you'd like a feature and interview, email me at: hannahbyatt1990@hotmail.co.uk









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...