Friday, 28 June 2013

Cathryn Nicholson

It's Follow Friday!

Cathryn Nicholson is an experience fashion designer based Victoria, Australia. Cathryn designs fashion prints for womanswear, menswear and childrenswear at Target Australia. Cathryn is also behind 'Pencil Stitches' creating illustrations. Cathryn creates beatuifully detailed pencil illustrations along with creative fashion prints. Cathryn has many clients including Mudpie, Dogwood London, Nine Plus and many more. You can follow Cathryn on twitter @pencilstitches



Have you always wanted to be a designer?

Yes & no. One of my youngest memories is drawing at my grandparents house by the window but when I was a little kid there were 3 main jobs that I wanted to do. An Archaeologist, a Marine Biologist & a Fashion Designer. When I was in secondary school, I realised I was more suited to the creative side of things as I am not keen on mud or getting cold in the water. However I was obsessed with 'Fashion Wheel' when I was a kid! I still have all my original designs from back in the day ;). It was only when I was 16, that I took it seriously. From studying fashion at Plymouth College of Art & Design was when I found my love for illustration as well. I was very lucky to have gone to a school where they encouraged you to learn new skills. I am now a full time fashion designer and illustrate on the side.

How have you got to where you are now? 

Hard work, drive & persistents. It has not been easy, as the fashion industry isn't the easiest industry to break into. However I always seemed to have found my way through being persistent. In terms of my illustrating, its just practicing and always having a project in the go. Whether its personal or for a client.

What's your next step?

I really want to push my illustration work more and to spread the word. In an ideal world I would love to do illustration full time and be a part time fashion designer. I just want to create more work and see more of my work on products & magazines.

What inspires you?

So many things inspire me, whether its a beautiful fashion editorial or someone walking in the street. I am very lucky to live in Australia where I personally feel the style is bolder and more colourful.

What motivates you? 

My husband and just my love of illustration. I also look at illustrators & designers that I admire and I want to be as good as those guys!

How do you start a new project/design?

I start off looking through magazines, books & the internet collating images and just go from there.

What do you enjoy most about design?

That I can create anything I wish…within reason! Its so nice to have a creative outlet where you can switch yourself off from the ordinary world and create pieces that other people love. 

Do you have a favourite design that you have created?

I personally love my girls with floral crowns. I started doing these pieces as I really wanted to practice drawing hair as I felt I needed to work on this area. I really enjoyed this project! 

What is your typical day like?

I always check my emails first thing and reply to any that need answering. I then always have a look at blogs and Pinterest! Then I will start to roughly sketch out any new illustrations or finish off some illustrations in progress. 

What medias do you like to use?

I always use pencil and paper! Then I add colour either with watercolour or digitally on my computer. I like to stick with the basics. 

Do you get a lot of support from family and friends?

100%! I am SO lucky to have a very supportive family in always allowing me to do what I wanted. They embraced what I wanted to do, and encouraged me in it. My husband is one of my biggest fans as well, and sometimes keeps me going on those low ' I can't draw days'! My husband is a photographer as well so it helps to have a creative husband.

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time?

I would like to see more of my work published and ideally be able to live off my illustrations...

Do you have a favourite illustrator, designer etc?

Birdy & Me is one of my main inspirations. I guess due to her style being quite similar but her eye for detail and composition is truly amazing! I also am inspired by all my friends that are designers or involved in the industry (they know who they are!). Just to see people doing what they love, even if its not rolling the cash in is a huge inspiration to me. 

Favourite blog?

I have SO many… however one of my every day go to's is the artist & designer 'Kelli Murray' she is a huge inspiration for me as not only is she truly talented but she's also a young mum. I have been married for a year and we would like to start a family in a few years and this is one of my biggest worries of not being able to work. However she is such a huge inspiration for me that it can be done!

Favourite design book?

Its the Christian Louboutin book ( http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Louboutin/dp/0847836517) its a stunning book and I LOVE his designs. I get a bit giddy over his shoes when I see them.

Thank you so much for your time Cathryn, I really appreciate it. If you'd like a feature and interview, please don't hesitate to email me: hannahbyatt1990@hotmail.co.uk










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...