Friday, 4 October 2013

Lesley Stevens - Owner Decorque

It's Follow Friday!

Decorque - a new UK business - offers a unique range of decorative home accessories with an innovative twist.  Using cork as the base for its feature placemats and coasters range, the company brings a fresh, fashion-edge design look to this most environmentally-friendly of products. 

But there’s more to Decorque than just the cork product range.  For customers who like to shop by colour, the carefully crafted, versatile designs carry through to other products including plastic placemats, art prints, greeting cards and tags, and mouse mats. New additions coming soon to the website and previewed at this years Top Drawer show in London comprise lampshades, cushions and table runners.

Themes range from the quintessentially English roses and birds to the exotic toucans and parrots, mixing the hand painted and drawn with photographs.

Launched in Autumn 2012, the brand has received widespread social media coverage, including a blog that covers inspiration on interior design and other interesting designers.

Decorque’s mission is centred on a love of pattern, “seeking to bring that creative touch of colour into the home”. Decorque will expand its range to become “a treasure trove of beautiful, original and practical products for the home”.

You can find Decorque on Facebook, Pinterest and follow on twitter @Decorque. You can also see updates from Decorque regularly from their blog. Also you can contact Decorque via email info@decorque.com.





1. Have you always wanted to be a designer?
  
I've always wanted to paint and draw, and initially wanted to be a Fine Artist but became more interested in textiles and design while doing a foundation art course.

2. Tell us a bit more about 'Decorque.'

Decorque's new approach is through a 'Shop by Colour' concept, this reflects how we design, and how we think people like to shop. When you go out you have a colour scheme in mind, or you have a colour you prefer, it's human nature. So arranging our products this way allows the customer online to see all products from all categories in this colour way and show the designs versatility, as we run many themes over all our product types, but all designs are created specifically for each item.

3. How have you got to where you are now? 

Am am where I am now through years of just enjoying designing, and always looking for new opportunities to carry on doing so.

4. What's your next step? 

Develop the brand, may be have some designs licensed, covering a varied range of new products.

5. What inspires you? 

Colour and nature, capturing a little inspires a design.

6. What motivates you? 

Seeing my designs come to life and someone appreciating them enough to choose one.

7. How do you start a new project/design? 

At the moment colour is deciding my next move. I know we need more design choice in our black and white range. Being my favourite colour combination in design I can't wait to get started!

8. What do you enjoy most about being a designer? 

I just love creating pattern. I still draw and paint many images by hand, and mixing them with cad images brings my imagination to life.

9. Do you have a favourite design that you have created? 

I think probably my "Charm of Hummingbirds" is a favourite, but for sheer fantasy "Imagination in Time"

10. What is your typical day like? 

Usually the first on my list is to check e-mails and orders, as that can determine my next move. Then it depends whether I need to replenish the handcrafted card stock, get designs ready for print, try and finish those new designs I've started and left half way to sew some cushions or make a few lampshades. But I always make time for a break in the garden, and usually get carried away spending more time than I intended.

11. What medias do you like to use? 

I hand paint and draw, all my ideas come from detailed sketches. These can be brought into the design in Photoshop, or used as a template to draw a clean, crisp detailed look in Illustrator. All the roses I use are photographed in our own garden and I feel the softness of the photograph mixes well with both hand painted and CAD.

12.Do you get a lot of support from family and friends? 

Yes I certainly do. Decorque is a family business and we are a team we need each others talents to make it work. My daughter is a graphic designer, and has many roles from managing the print production, designing brochures etc.. to dealing with the social media side. With her partner a web developer/SEO, they not only created but manage the web-site. That's when they are not at their full time jobs during the day! Likewise my husband is there to help with his knowledge of eCommerce, advice, support and of course the boring paper work!

13. Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time? 

I would like to see Decorque become a recognisable brand that people look to for a bit of inspiration.

14. Do you have a favourite designer? 

Having designed for fashion for many years I have to say its Matthew Williamson as I think I share his vision of decorative pattern.

15. Favourite blog? 

Hmmm…can I be naughty and pick two? As I love looking at US blog Decor8 which focuses on Inspiring Interiors and Creative finds, alongside the fab UK-based blog Patchwork Harmony which focuses on interior ideas, thoughts and inspiration. I love looking at ideas for interiors, seeing what other creatives are up to and getting ideas for future designs and projects through blogs. We have a strong connection to many bloggers through twitter and our own blog.

16. Favourite design book? 

A Treasury of Design for Artists and Craftsmen - Gregory Mirow and Frances Perry Flowers of the World.


Thank you for your time Lesley, I really appreciate it. 















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...